[mythtv-users] debian packages

Frank Hartmann soundart at gmx.net
Sat Jun 9 12:48:51 UTC 2012

George Nassas <gnassas at mac.com> writes:

> Two, does anyone know about the status of the deb packaging files in
> the packaging repository. Are they safe for use on a stable production
> system? Apologies if this has been discussed here but I missed it and
> there doesn't appear to be a readme anywhere.

I am using them(mythtv and others packages) for some years and did not
have unusual problems.

Recently (1-2 years)I think the multimedia team from 'official' debian
started playing tricks (or have the same package names in 'official'
debian too) resulting in getting the wrong packages from time to
time. Basically you did an upgrade and could not play DVDs with vlc
afterwards.

dist-upgrades have become more complex too, the best approach for me was
recently to backup /etc, remove all marillat packages, dist-upgrade and
install marillat packages afterwards.

I think both parties have talked and aligned their versioning approaches
recently so I hope these issues will not happen frequently in the
future.

have fun!