[mythtv-users] HTTP progressive download possible?

Erik Jensen eriksjunk at laurelwoodart.com
Sat Jun 9 02:50:15 UTC 2012

I was really excited to try out the new HTTP streaming functionality in
0.25. After upgrading, I connected via telnet and typed 'play file
http://whatever'. Sure enough, the video started playing. Awesome!

However, I noticed that the time indicator always reads 0:01 of 0:01, and
seeking does not work. Attempting to seek backward starts the video over
from the beginning, and attempting to seek forward does nothing.

It would be really cool if the video could start downloading as soon as
playback starts, and then let you seek around in the part that had been
downloaded so far. This would basically make HTTP streaming work the same
way that live tv works (with the exception that non-live streams could be
retrieved faster than real time).

Is this possible, now? If not, how hard would it be to implement?

Thanks.

-- Erik Jensen

"Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a purpose."
  -- Garrison Keillor