[mythtv-users] Dual Head MythTV

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jun 7 19:03:46 UTC 2012

On 06/07/2012 02:22 PM, Mark Canup wrote:
> From: Eric Sharkey
>> On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Mark Canup wrote:
>>> I keep getting a virtual screen that extends across my desktop monitor and
>>> my TV. However, my desktop monitor is 1400x1050 and my TV is 1360x768, so my
>>> virtual screen ends up being 2760x1050 and part of the virtual screen has
>>> nowhere to display. This means when I launch mythfrontend on the TV, the top
>>> and bottom are missing since the TV isn't as tall as the desktop monitor.
>> Launch it like this:
>>
>> mythfrontend -geometry 1360x768
>>
>> then it will fit your TV.
> Never would have thought of that approach, thanks! I added it to /etc/mythtv/session-settings and works great.
>
> MYTHFRONTEND_OPTS="-geometry 1360x768+1400+0"

Specifying a settings override on every start of your system is wrong.
Instead, you need to properly configure the system, then you only use an
override to, er, override a normally-correct setting for a single
session if you need to run mythfrontend differently for some reason
(i.e. because you no longer have your 2 monitors and you need to
override the size/position to change the settings that are set for your
Xinerama setup).

The problem you're encountering is that you've enabled Xinerama, but you
have not yet specified your Xinerama-specific settings (that are
required for those using Xinerama because we don't know which monitor to
use, nor how big that monitor is).  Under mythfrontend settings
Appearance section, you should see settings:

Display on screen
Run on the specified screen or spanning all screens.

Monitor aspect ratio
The aspect ratio of a Xinerama display cannot be queried from the
display, so it must be specified.

You may also need to use:

GUI width (pixels)
The width of the GUI. Do not make the GUI wider than your actual screen
resolution. Set to 0 to automatically scale to fullscreen.

GUI height (pixels)
The height of the GUI. Do not make the GUI taller than your actual
screen resolution. Set to 0 to automatically scale to fullscreen.

GUI X offset
The horizontal offset where the GUI will be displayed. May only work if
run in a window.

GUI Y offset
The vertical offset where the GUI will be displayed.

also in Appearance settings, which may also be necessary depending on
your Window Manager.

Mike