[mythtv-users] Forced subtitles in mkv DVD rips.

Alexander Fisher alex at alexfisher.me.uk
Wed Jun 6 15:17:57 UTC 2012

On 3 June 2012 15:34, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 3:52 AM, Alexander Fisher <alex at alexfisher.me.uk> wrote:
>> Having played around a bit more, I'm not sure mythtv is still always
>> doing the right thing for mkvs.
>> I've got a mkv with four subtitle streams including one marked as
>> forced.  These don't get automatically played.
>> Does mythtv look through all the subtitle streams to find forced
>> subtitles, or does it only look at the first one?
>
> I can't say for sure without more digging, but I suspect myth is just
> looking at the "preferred" subtitle track for forced subtitles (based
> first on language preference and then on track number).
>
> As usual, a new ticket with a small sample would be most helpful in
> improving this.  Ideally, one mkv sample and one more or less
> equivalent DVD .iso sample.
>
> One key question is how to combine user-selected subtitle tracks with
> forced tracks.  For example, suppose the user selects track 1, and
> tracks 2 and 3 are marked as forced.  Should all 3 subtitle tracks be
> displayed simultaneously?

I've created a new ticket, with a 5 minute sample link.  Ideally, I
would make available the original iso, but haven't due to copyright
issues and ADSL upload bandwidth.
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10808

I think that if the user has selected a subtitle track, titles from
forced tracks should probably not be played as the same titles most
likely already exist on the selected track.
I'm not sure how realistic it is to try to define correct behaviour
for cases where an mkv has multiple same language tracks marked as
forced.  Whilst I could create such an mkv as an academic exercise,
would any sensible DVD/Blu-Ray -> mkv workflow ever generate such a
beast?

Kind regards,
Alex