[mythtv-users] Config suggestions for powerful MythTV Backend

James Robertson j at mesrobertson.com
Fri Jun 1 13:52:53 UTC 2012

> fun! and lucky! (though I'm guessing you "paid" for it?)

I got it free from a client who had upgraded their servers recently
and doesn't run out of warranty equipment and had no need for it, so
giddy up for me :). Except the power usage and noise which I am little
concerned about, I guess I'll go plant some more trees in the yard.

> don't bother using RAID, no advantage for Myth, also no reason to
> separate LiveTV. just throw all six into a storage group and let Myth
> sort it out. that said, even 6x146GB isn't a lot of storage if you're
> doing HD.

That certainly sounds like the best option now that I understand the
storage group concept.

>> 2X 1TB Sata disks in RAID1 to store pictures, movies, music and
>
> unless you have a specific need to have redundant backup for all that,
> I would say you're better off dropping some money on a specific drive
> for backing up what you want, on another network connected machine,
> and taking advantage of all 2TB of storage. RAID is great, until both
> drives die at the same time. even with the flooding, hard drive prices
> are cheap.

I do have a 2TB USB3 disk and PCI-E card in my current (to be
replaced) server used for backing up about 900Gb of data and hadn't
even thought about using the 1TB disk separately, I'm so used to
making sure the systems I set up are running RAID I guess...

LVM or mhddfs (had never heard of that before) would be good here.

> in theory you could do a RAM disk for the database, with frequent
> writes to disk for backup. the other is to just tweak the MySQL
> settings to let it use the other 14GB of ram (I'd save around 2GB for
> all the other things you'll be running), I think, in the end, this has
> been shown to be the better use of RAM.
>
>> I have done a bit of research and I am going to read over the
>> Optimizing Performance Wiki article again. but would appreciate some
>> advise from seasoned MythTV users and developers.
>
> have fun!
>
> --
> Steve

I certainly will!