[mythtv-users] 0.25-fixes: Couldn't find an A/V decoder for video/mpeg

Raffaele BELARDI raffaele.belardi at st.com
Fri Jun 1 06:23:05 UTC 2012

On 05/31/2012 09:26 PM, Angela wrote:
> I have holiday movies recorded with a 2006 and a newer Sony camera, Myth
> Pictures and Mythvideo cannot play the movies.
>
> With mythavtest I get the following error message:
> 2012-05-31 08:50:22.668457 E  Player(0): Couldn't find an A/V decoder for:
> '/store/store5/video/mov03093.mpg'
> 2012-05-31 08:50:22.668463 E  Player(0): Unable to open video file.
>
> Mplayer plays the movies without a problem.
>
> Movies recorded with a Canon Rebel T2i recorded in video/quicktime plays
> just fine.

You are lucky, others including me cannot play any camera video with the
internal player (1)

> Which library should provide the codec ? Mythtv external FFmpeg ?

Try midentify (from the mplayer build) on both Sony and Canon videos and
compare the output. If the two videos require different codecs then you
have a hint. I'd be interested in the result.

My understanding (2) is that the internal player uses its own libraries
so I doubt that installing new packages will solve this problem. Anybody
can confirm this?

raffaele

(1) http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/517977
(2) http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/FFmpeg