[mythtv-users] Recording directly to RAID

Tapani Tarvainen mythtv at tapanitarvainen.fi
Sun Jul 29 04:59:53 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 12:43:32PM +1000, Jean-Yves Avenard (jyavenard at gmail.com) wrote:

> RAID5 is perfectly suitable for home use, no point disregarding with
> statement like RAID10 "period".

> RAID10 is a waste of disk space IMHO if all you're after is disk
> redundancy and big storage capacity.

While RAID5 is fast enough for many uses, what I particularly dislike
in it is the horribly slow rebuild time and loss of performance during it.
I have seen RAID5 arrays dies because another disk died during rebuild.

> What next? so only RAID10 SSD disks should be used otherwise
> everything is too slow "period" ?

There's no point in spending on more speed than you need, of course.
Ditto reliability. It's up to you to determine what you need and
how much you want to pay for it.

--
Tapani Tarvainen