[mythtv-users] Volume Discrepancy

Ken Mink ken.mink at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 01:19:52 UTC 2012

On 7/26/12 2:44 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 07/26/2012 02:04 PM, Ken Mink wrote:
>>>
>>> There's no way to associate recording profiles to capture
>>> cards--they're associated with specific recording rules.
>>>
>>> Therefore, your only option is to either live with it or run some
>>> kind of script after MythTV starts recording to set the volume
>>> appropriately on your capture cards.  You can either use a script
>>> spawned by the external channel change script or one spawned by a
>>> Recording Started system event, and have it sleep for a while (5, 10
>>> or 20s or ...) then adjust the volume.  You probably want to have
>>> MythTV set the "lower" volume properly and then have the script
>>> increase the volume on the quieter cards so that you're not blown out
>>> of the chair by the loud volume for the first 20s.
>>
>> Thanks for the help, Mike. So would I have the script update the
>> recording level in the database before the recording starts? Using
>> that method I could set specific values for specific cards. I haven't
>> been able to find where the recording level is stored for the
>> recording profiles.
>
> No, have the script call v4l2ctl to set the recording volume on the card
> itself after MythTV sets it to the "initial" value (specified in the
> recording profile, which is stored in the DB).  No need to mess with the
> database--or deal with the inevitable race conditions when different
> cards are used for recording shows that start at the same time.
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,
   Just wanted to say thanks for the pointers. I went with a Recording
Started System Event triggered script that takes the cardid. It uses
that to determine the device file and volume level to use with v4lctl.
The longest part was figuring out udev so that I could be sure about
what device file was what physical tuner. The WAF just went up a few
notches.

Ken