[mythtv-users] Recording directly to RAID

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 19:01:55 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> Is anyone recording directly to RAID?  If so, what type/size, how many
> simultaneous recordings and how well does it work?

I started with a 3-desk RAID5 full of 2TB disks. This setup seemed to
choke around 3 recordings, 2 commercial flagging, and 1 playback (it
would probably stumble without the playback, too).

I had a spare 1.5TB disk, so I added it to the storage group. I
haven't had any IO issues since.

I now have three storage groups:

Default:
/raid/recordings
/mnt/wdgreen15/recordings

Important:
/raid/recordings

LowPriority:
/mnt/wdgreen15/recordings

Almost everything I record is set to Default, but occasionally I will
set something to Important if I want it to survive a drive crash.
Sometimes I will move files from /mnt/wdgreen15/recordings to
/raid/recordings if I decide they are important to me. When Myth fails
to find the file at the specified path, it tries the other storage
group path(s) and succeeds. This way I have some redundancy for
important recordings. I would not care if I lost the independent 1.5TB
disk (or even the whole array)--it's just TV.

Tom