[mythtv-users] Time to get a SSD?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Jul 25 14:52:31 UTC 2012

> I usually don't post this type of stuff, but it looks like
> to good of a deal to let past.
>

> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239045&Tpk=20-239-045&nm_mc=EMC-GD072412&cm_mmc=EMC-GD072412-_-index-_-Item-_-20-239-045
>
> With Promo Code: EMCYTZT1951
> Free Shipping!
>
> Starts at 12 PST (US)
>
> Final price - 79.99

Almost jumped on it, then I realized that I have no need for a 120GB SSD,
at least not for mythtv.  Gonna save a few bucks and get a 64GB drive, sure
the price per GB is higher, but it's not like I'm using the SSD for much
more than booting and storing my database.  I'll spend the difference with
a couple sticks of extra RAM.

I suppose I could use it for livetv, but I'm not sure if it would make any
difference in channel changing or anything like that.  Commercial flagging
and transcoding are both CPU bound, so I don't think it would make a
difference there. Any advantages to having a larger SSD in a myth system
that I'm overlooking?