[mythtv-users] Widescreen DVD rip playing letterboxed

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 11:11:14 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 11:54 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 05:31:08AM -0400, Doug Lytle wrote:
>> Ian Evans wrote:
>> >I realize I can zoom, but that
>> >changes the WAF
>>
>> I'd suggest running it thought HandBrake to remove the letterboxing.
>
>     Any number of other transcoding tools will also allow you to crop the frame.
>
>     This is what I do with my own scripts. Anything that is "letterboxed" as
> opposed to "anamorphic" gets cropped.

What command line do you use? I quickly ran it through the Handbrake
GUI and ended up with:

4 Gb The-Movie.mkv
880 Mb The_Movieafterhandbrake.mkv

Haven't had a chance to look yet, but I'm assuming the quality got
knocked down just running it through blind. I don't need to compress
the mkv, just want to get rid of the letterboxing.

Thanks.