[mythtv-users] CableCard Chain.

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Wed Jul 25 02:21:39 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:10 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:53 AM, Chuck Peters <cp at ccil.org> wrote:
>> OK, except that it doesn't seem possible that this is just hardware based
>> because WMC (Windows Media Center and Windows 7) will record and play (on
>> the machine it was recorded on) video streams with the CCI flag set as
>> protected-copyonce.
>
> WMC implements something called a "protected path", which uses
> signed codes that insure that the content(s) cannot be accessed
> from outside of that "protected path", which was what Devin was
> saying was an alternative implementation.

Correct.  Basically Microsoft came up with a fairly sophisticated
model which uses signed drivers (including the video driver) to ensure
that the unencrypted path is never exposed.

Yup, it's crappy.  Yes, you're getting screwed by the cable companies.
 They almost certainly doing this to increase rental income by forcing
people to have more settop boxes.  I never intended to suggest
otherwise.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs