[mythtv-users] Backup software

Amy Overmyer aovermy at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 23 22:14:31 UTC 2012

I had a total hard drive failure on one of my mythtv slave backends. Fortunately, I have a stack of old ~200 G IDE drives that were pulled from my master backend some time back whilst I was upgrading to higher capacity SATA drives. Unfortunately, it's probably only a matter of time until the replacement fails as well as these disks are some years old. Obviously to recover, I had to reinstall mythbuntu, recompile my kernel (stv0900 driver works better with a patch), and setup my mythtv stuff.  The recompiling of the kernel is probably the most painful part as this backend is a Geode 1750Mhz CPU. It is not a fast process on that chip. Since this is a slave, it doesn't keep recordings or videos on it.

Anyway, what I was thinking is since I do have a stack of harddrives, if there is software out there that could backup my existing linux setup on that slave to another harddrive? I don't think any of them are identical in size, so imaging would probably not work.  I've read a little about MondoRescue on this list, but that thread was from 2006! Does anyone do something similar?