[mythtv-users] 0.25 channel icons not being found/opened

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jul 23 14:40:24 UTC 2012

On 07/23/2012 10:18 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> No, if you put your channel icons into a shared network directory (or
>>> place a copy on each frontend in a MythTV storage location--after all, it's
>>> tiny compared to recordings), then symlink ~/.mythtv/channels to that
>>> directory, all should work fine (at least it does for me).
>>
>> That said, we will eventually fix up the channel icons mess...  I'm not
>> saying that it's perfect, now, just that we don't need "fancy" workarounds
>> or direct DB editing to make it work everywhere.  :)
> yea, agreed! I wanted to see how trying that would affect things. not
> as clean and neat as a simple symlink, though it does look to avoid
> having to NFS mount your icon location to each frontend (? for better
> or worse?)

Yeah.  I actually hate NFS, so I just have a copy at the same location
on each frontend/backend system, but I do store it in my MythTV storage
area, rather than in ~/.mythtv, and use the symlink from
~/.mythtv/channels to the actual location.

> I figured it would get looked at eventually, as there does seem to be
> a big push to use storage groups for everything, but the lesser stuff
> like this is not a rush. I'd prefer time be spent on MythMusic being
> able to use storage groups =D

Yeah, we're still trying to decide how to handle the "explosion" of SG
locations.  There's a good chance that we'll do something that doesn't
add a ton of new "special" SG's (those that show a "Create a <Name>
Storage Group" button in the editor), but still allows a good bit of
configurability (at least of some parent locations).

Mike