[mythtv-users] Remote Control Replacement

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 17:49:36 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Brian Long <briandlong at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hey, I got my Harmony One, applied the 550 setting against it and it
>> worked perfectly.  (Except for the Menu button, which always required
>> tweaking.)  My IR receiver just worked with it. Its a very nice
>> device.  Good weight and size. Responsive.  Good button feel.  And I
>> only have to deal with the touch screen when I am switching devices.
>> Thanks for the recommendations, everyone.
>

> Does Radio Shack make remotes any more?  I cannot find their branded
> remotes, but I have an older one which is giving me fits.  Some buttons I
> have to press extra hard to get them to transmit.  I believe Radio Shack
> sourced them from All-in-One?  I'm looking for a remote less than $50 as
> I'm not willing to spend $150-$200 on a Logitech Harmony.  :)

I've been using the URC-R50 for a while now and love it.  It can be had for
around $50, and has macros, learning, a mostly sensible button layout.  You
can use the programmability to set up activities buttons (if your
components have discrete on/off commands) with a little work.  Construction
is sturdy.  Only thing that could be better is the circular silver
directional control can be a little finicky.

http://www.amazon.com/URC-Digital-Universal-Control-Components/dp/B001KC08AE

-Jerry