[mythtv-users] "Record in This Timeslot Each Week" misses shows because of EIT times +/- minutes

blind Pete peter_s_d at fastmail.com.au
Thu Jul 19 14:07:29 UTC 2012

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012, Kingsley Turner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the habit of recording programmes "In this timeslot each week", based
> on EIT guide data only (I have no other source).
>
> But on some of my channels, (e.g.: ABC1 Australia) the EIT data lists the
> programme at say 09:01 one week, and then 09:03 the next week.

Worse than that, every time the government falls there is a news flash
and programs get bumped by 5 minutes.  You'd think that they would
outlaw coups after the TV guide has been published.  :-p

> I've been missing recordings, and looking at the EIT - this few minutes skew
> in the timeslot is enough to break the schedule.

In this context timeslot does not mean what you think it means.  The usual
advice is, don't use them.

> For example, I have a programme on Monday morning at 11:35 (today), but next
> Monday it's on at 11:31.

Try, "Record one showing of this title every week".  If that does not
do what you want try "Manual Schedule" which gets a dumb timeslot or
"Custom Record" which is as complex as you are devious.

> Is there a setting to give a bit of a fudge in the recording schedule?

Yes.  Well you don't change the guide, but you can record a bit extra
before and after when the program is supposed to air.

Buried deep in the configurations there are two ways to do this.  Hard
roll ins and roll outs will take control of the tuner and prevent you
recording anything else.  Soft roll ins and roll outs will add a bit -
if the tuner is not wanted for anything else.

Go and explore the interface.

> I know I can create a manual schedule - but a lot of programmes jump around
> like this on ABC*

I suspect that the most accurate guide for the ABC is the EIT service.
Because they move things around for apparently no good reason any guide
that you downloaded yesterday is hopelessly out of date.  On the plus
side, they do update the EIT to warn you that they have been mad.  It
just annoys the heck out of anyone who expects the 10 o'clock news to
be at 10 o'clock.

> +/- 5 minutes would seem to be enough - Just so it recognises that when I
> said to record "Good Game SP" at 11:31 on Monday mornings, that this should
> also match the EIT schedule when it's listed at 11:35!

I strongly suggest setting aside an hour to learn how to use
"Custom Record".

--
blind Pete
Sig goes here...