[mythtv-users] OT: unreliable firmware load after cold boot

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Jul 18 17:58:23 UTC 2012

On 07/18/2012 02:41 AM, phipps-hutton at sky.com wrote:

> Quoting Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>:
>
>> On 17/07/12 21:34, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>>> It took a brute force ring-around to ensure that all three (in my
>>> case) were
>>> removed: that is: I did modprobe -r #3, modprobe -r #2, modprobe -r
>>> #1, modprobe
>>> -r #2, modprobe -r #3. modprobe -r #2. Then installed them in proper
>>> order and
>>> get a 'registered' or 'initialized' report.
>>>
>> Is this the kind of situation that calls for udev rules?
>
> No, the fix should be in the dependencies compiled into the modules so
> that modprobe #3 just works.

Ahh, dreaming in technicolor are we??

Would be nice but!

A quick modinfo shows that none of the three lists any of the others as
a dependency, but my experimentation showed that they are all needed and
in a set order.
They are described as a 'driver' 'demodulator driver' and 'tuner driver'
each matching the chipset on the card.

But I had completely forgotten about modinfo. I will have to turn on
some debugging. Mythtv's setup does not like this card and does not set
it up properly or does not 'see' it properly.
It tunes with azap and vlc handles it nicely, but myth does not....

Geoff