[mythtv-users] Anyone with a MythTV and Free-to-air satellite setup in the United States?

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 13 14:47:40 UTC 2012

On 13 July 2012 13:37, Robert Kulagowski <rkulagow at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 1:38 AM, Another Sillyname
> <anothersname at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> When you did your scan the BBC HD channel would be set a chanid of
>> 6940 as that's the number that would get assigned by the satellite
>> source, have a look here.
>>
>> http://www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-28A-and-Astra-1N-2A-2B.html
>>
>> Go down to BBC HD channel on 10847 V on transponder 50 read across to
>> BBC HD UK and you'll see in the SID (service identifier) column the
>> value of 6940.
>
> OK, I think that helps. The list that I was looking at didn't include
> service identifier. A SID is going to be unique on a per-satellite
> basis, or is it truly unique in that satellite providers coordinate to
> ensure that there is no SID collision?

Generally the SID will be unique within a satellite group rather then
just one satellite (for example there are a number of satellites at
28.2E where BBC HD is transmitting from and they work in conjunction
to not transmit the same SID for channels in that location).

I missed the start of the thread and it would be useful if you could
outline exactly which services you are looking to integrate, be they
Terrestrial DVB-T(2), Cable DVB-C which service provider and rough
location (zipcode should be enough) and which satellites on DVB-S(2).

If you are getting DVB-T(2) services are you getting them from a
standard aerial feed and have you already tested quality of signal?
(I ask because I know from experience that DVB-T can be patchy in
parts of the States).

Also if you're taking multiple satellites are you intending to use a
motorised dish are you using a specific box to move the dish or do you
want the myth server to instruct the dish to move?  I have to suggest
(again based upon personal experience) that motorised setups do not
work well with myth due to inevitable scheduling conflicts when the
system doesn't know which programme to prioritise and therefore
doesn't know which satellite to point at, for Live TV motorised
systems are fine but for scheduling systems such as myth a Toroidal
Dish with multiple LNB's is a much better solution.

http://www.wavefrontier.us/

I have no relationship with them but have used their 90cm dish for a
setup with good results.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/gogach/Sat%20TV/T90/16SmartOxidandTitaniumTwinLNBswith2Centauri16in1SwitchesonToroidal90cmdish_6.jpg

Excessive but shows you what can be done.

Regards