[mythtv-users] Anyone with a MythTV and Free-to-air satellite setup in the United States?

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Fri Jul 13 00:24:10 UTC 2012

On 13.07.2012 01:20, Robert Kulagowski wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Amy Overmyer<aovermy at yahoo.com>  wrote:
>> on a traxis, you would need a bunch of channels, as many as the traxis could
>> see (or as many as you want to record/watch) in a database with channel
>> numbers of some sort (many people choose numbers like 83_1, 83_2...93_1,
>> 101_1 etc. based on the satellite they're pointing at).
>
> If there are 20 available FTA on a particular transponder, it looks
> like a combination of polarity, frequency and vpid are unique. But

a possible unique key is constellation/position, frequency, polarity and
program_number (instead of vpid, as multiple services can share the same
video stream. Its useful when you switch out for local programmes and
join back for shared programmes. Its called dynamic PMT and common in
Europe)

> that's a lot of typing! Do people just let their receivers run a scan,
> then assign "1", "2", etc locally, so that possibly _my_ 101_1 may not
> be the same as yours?

Some satellite packages sent out logical channel numbers but I have
configured my cable / terrestrial backend with manually selected
channel numbers and call signs. (so one station gets the same number,
no matter if its HD/SD or DVB-C/DVB-T)

If you do nothing you'll get numbers based on the transmitted program
number and video source id.

I don't think you'll get nice LCN for US FTA ;)

There are scripts for UK floating around that set nice channel numbers
(and other properties) based on service name or
original_network_id + service_id. Providing such a script for US FTA
might be an idea.

Regards,
Karl