[mythtv-users] Gainward GeForce 8400GS 1GB - suitable HD playback?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Jul 11 14:25:33 UTC 2012

On 07/11/2012 07:56 AM, Alessandro wrote:
> Hello folks,
> Can anyone advise whether this graphics card is suitable for HD
> playback with the better de-interlacers?
> http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=425
> it's the Gainward GeForce 8400GS 1GB
>
> I have a motherboard  that has the PCI16e next to the 2 PCI's I need
> for my two Nova HD S2 cards. The space is limited, so it has a low
> profile for the heat sink and it should not interfere with the PCI
> cards.
>
> But, does anyone know an alternative (passive cooling) for this card
> if it's not a good choice for Mythtv? I wanted to get the 9500GT but
> it's not available, and that has the low profile passive I'm looking
> for.

That is a quite old chipset. I would not consider buying such an old
chipset card unless I absolutely positively could not find a newer
version meeting the requirements.

NVidia classifies its chipsets into 3 groups, with Group C having the
most capabilities. IIRC the 8400 may only be a Group A or at best a
Group B (as is the 9500GT). If you are buying, you should at least get
the best!

Higher up on the page you give, there is a GT430 SilentFX which from the
picture appears to be passively cooled. Also IIRC, anything above the
GT210 is in Group C.

G.