[mythtv-users] New PC Build for Mythbuntu (latest)

Alessandro alessandro.campobassi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 13:17:41 UTC 2012

Hi folks,
I'm looking to build a new backend/frontend HTPC for my MythTV setup. I've
had a Hush Technologies PC since 2005, which I really would like to replace
with something more inclined to upgradability and stability. I've been
researching for a while, but in all honesty, haven't kept up on what is
really required in hardware to run now, and for maybe 5-7 more years again!
I'm kind of at a loss to find detailed information on what is supported etc
- there's a lot of outdated info out there :(, and was hoping that some of
the helpful people on the list might be able to add a valid opinion? I
haven't built a PC since back in 1998 ! :(

I was looking to spend around 500-600 EUR for the build and came up with
this?
I have some items I will recycle from my old box - (1Tb  HDD, Tuner card
etc)
I use my mythTV to record FreeSat (UK) so HD recording and playback is a
must.

Computer Case SilverStone Grandia GD04S - Silver (M-ATX)
CPU                  AMD FX 4100 (4 x 3.6 GHZ)
CPU Heatsink Coolermaster Vortex Plus
Memory          Corsair 4GB XMS3 PC3-12800 1600MHz (1x4GB) (DDR3)
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 - 1 GB - (POV)  (PCI-E)
Motherboard Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 (AMD 760G)
Power Supply Cooler Master GX Lite 600W PSU
Hard Drive #1 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD SATA-III, (I'll put Mythbuntu OS etc
here)

I realise it could be overkill, but after all weekend of trying to find out
a good resource (maybe I couldn't see the forest for the trees) I'm hoping
someone can help me out here?
any advice would be grateful....!! I run xbmc on it (for avi's etc) too.

Thanks
Alessandro