[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - How many People have Video libraries over 8TB?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Jul 8 11:19:15 UTC 2012

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>Raymond Wagner wrote:
>
>>  In the corporate world, no drives larger than 500G or so are typically put
>>  in a RAID group, for the sole reason that they simply don't exist. They just
>>  don't make 10K and 15K SAS drives larger than 600GB.
>
>That's more likely due to technical constraints.

Indeed, where people are wanting high performance, they'll be wanting
fast SAS drives. As Raymond says, these only go up to about 600G at
the moment (but that is growing).

>There are however Raid Edition of 2TB disks.

But they won't be 15k SAS drives ?

Raymond wrote:
>In all likelihood, you bought a bunch of hard drives at the same
>time, from the same vendor, from the same manufacturer, such that
>they were all built in the same production batch. You then proceeded
>to operate them in the same temperature conditions, under the same
>use profile. It is not at all unreasonable that you would experience
>two of them failing at nearly the same time. That's why you're
>supposed to buy drives from separate lots, and periodically cycle
>them, so you don't get a bunch ready to fail simultaneously.

At the level I work at, most servers are bought with a bunch of
drives in them - so yes, they'll be the same drive, high probability
of being from the same manufacturing batch, and then they'll be run
under the same operating conditions. Most of the custards wouldn't
want to pay for anything better even if it were offered.
They do tend to be much smaller arrays that some people are talking
about here - 3-5 SAS disks at most.
I'm not involved in specifying or purchasing or setting these up BTW.
--
Simon Hobson