[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - How many People have Video libraries over 8TB?

Alexander Fisher alex at alexfisher.me.uk
Sat Jul 7 18:07:34 UTC 2012

On 7 July 2012 18:34, digid myth <digidmyth at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have 12 TB for my video, but no raid. If I add a 2 tb disk I add a 2 tb
> backup disk on the 2nd server. I would never build a raid with 2 TB drives.
> Takes too long to rebuild the raid and 60% of the time you will have a 2nd
> drive fail during the rebuild. Everything is set up in storage groups, and
> Myth handles multiple disks just fine. Everytime I have lost something on a
> raid it was during a raid rebuild of a failed disk. In the corporate world
> no drives larger than 500G or so are typicly put in a raid group for just
> this reason.

I considered this approach too, but according to the wiki, the storage
group feature is not 100% feature complete yet.
I gave it a quick go, but reverted back to using RAID when it seemed
mythweb needed to be pointed at a local video directory.
Mythmusic also didn't support storage groups.  Maybe I could have done
something with symlinks to work around these annoyances?

Performing regular drive srubbing should help reduce the likelihood of
suffering a 2nd drive failure during RAID rebuild. 60% failure rate
seems high.  But you're right that drives are massive and it's a much
greater issue than it used to be.
RAID6 used to be for massive arrays, but now I think it makes sense
after about 6 or so drives.

I'm eagerly watching BTRFS development, because it's RAID1 data mode
with online scrubbing looks like it'll be awesome when it's considered
production ready.
It'll be easy to grow with no requirement for using identical size drives.

Kind Regards,
Alex