[mythtv-users] Seagate Lockups (was libraries over 8TB)

Alexander Fisher alex at alexfisher.me.uk
Sat Jul 7 17:53:37 UTC 2012

On 7 July 2012 18:28, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> [...]

My issue was more like...
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=62740

I was running a defrag (xfs_fsr) when the bug triggered for me.

I contacted seagate support, hoping to get hold of firmware that fixes
the issue.
No such luck.  I was told I had the latest firmware (even though it
didn't match the firmware you can download from their website).
They said I could RMA the drive, but I'm not sure what good that would
do.  Wouldn't they just give me another one with exactly the same
issue?

Fortunately I've only got one of these drives.  It's also one of the
reasons I'm running a 3 disk RAID 5 with a hot spare instead of a 4
disk RAID 6. I fully expect the seagate to get booted from the array
before too long at which point the WD spare can take over.  I guess
I'll then use the seagate in a non raid environment, probably as some
backup storage.  Seagate don't release details of what goes into
firmware updates, so it's going to be hard to know if the problem is
fixed.

It's really quite poor especially as in the datasheet they recommended
the drive for use in NASes.

Kind Regards,
Alex