[mythtv-users] Importing Old TV files

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Fri Jul 6 18:04:38 UTC 2012

On 06/07/12 14:40, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 07/06/2012 05:43 AM, Alan Chandler wrote:
>> I recently did a completely fresh install of Mythtv Backend.  This
>> included making a new database.
>
> Meant to ask...  Is there some reason why you made a new database
> instead of backing up the old database and restoring it to the new
> system?
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore

Its a long complicated story about my previous (Debian Squeeze) based
system on an newish (month old) Intel motherboard with 4 SATA disks
having a hardware failure in the middle of the night.  It appears the
failure had also scribbled partly over my raid1 root fs.  My initial
recovery was with the old previous motherboard with only support for two
SATA drives and no internet access (this box is my house router), trying
to figure out which half or a raid I should be using.  Having got that
going, and managing to download an ubuntu 12.04 server image - I
discovered this new (old) hardware was also falling over about once a day.

Fortunately with the downloaded ubuntu image I was able to do a mem test
on the failed motherboard, and discovered the memory had a bad module.
Replacing that with a new hardware enabled me to restart building a 4
disk system again, although by now I had lots of half build raid arrays
across the wrong disks etc. So I went with ubuntu - giving me access to
the 0.25 fixes repo as well.  In the rush ( I was now almost 6 days into
this crisis) I decided it was too hard to find the old stuff and recover it.

Up until lunchtime today I was feeling I had made a good choice.  The
new mythtv system had none of the stuttering problems I had incurred
with the Debian backported mythtv, the HD program clarity was fantastic
- even in live TV and I had eventually found the good half of a raid
array where the old recordings were left.

Unfortunately at lunchtime today I had an aborted attempt to switch my
single disk root filesystem back to a raid1 root filesystem and in the
process I now find my HD device is not producing any output.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk