[mythtv-users] Recommended distro?

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 6 11:26:59 UTC 2012

On 6 July 2012 10:57, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Cecil Watson <knoppmyth at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 12:51 PM, David Litchman <david.litchman at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, I've got Mythbuntu and LinHES set
>>> up and running on VMs.  LinHES certainly seems to be a lot simpler but then
>>> it also looks to be more limited in terms of what you can do with it above
>>> and beyond MythTV.  LinHES is also using Myth 0.24-fixes while Mythbuntu is
>>> 0.25-fixes.  Is that going to make any kind of major difference in
>>> capabilities?
>>>
>> 0.25 is in the LinHES testing repos. A new release w/ 0.25 will be out soon.
>> The Ceton does work w/ 0.24 included in LinHES thanks to Ron Frazier's patch
>> (http://www.ronfrazier.net/mythtv/0.24/index.html#CetonSupport).
>>
>> LinHES is meant to be an appliance so, you won't find Open Office in our
>> repo. A lot of what a user would want to do, we try and account for in our
>> Service Menu. However, they is don't stopping a user from opening an xterm
>> and working configuring by hand. If you think LinHES is limited I'd
>> certainly invite you to contact me off list with your thoughts.
>

> Cecil, how often do you produce new packages for linhes? I am guessing
> it doesn't track -fixes in the way that mythbuntu does - ie produce
> new packages with every commit. The frequency of updates is what is
> keeping me on buntu, but I am seriously considering migrating my
> backend to linhes when I go to to 0.25. Lack of knowledge of how
> closely you track 0.25-fixes is what is holding me back.

I recently moved from Fedora to Mint (because I hate Gnome 3 and the
MATE version of Mint supports the old Gnome 2 style) for all my
machines and am running the .25Fixes version of myth from the repos.

Earlier in the thread someone said people don't use more then 3TB for Myth?

We're currently running 13TB for myth and have been 10TB+ for the last
3 year on a RAID6 system (next jump is to 20TB).

There's over 2500 movies in the library and 328 different TV series.

If I tried to go back to 'normal' TV I'd get lynched by my family as
the system gets used by them with an assortment of HTPC's, laptops and
tablets.

Before you make the decision which way to go I'd suggest look at
GNOME3 and GNOME2, they are really quite different in the
functionality they provide.