[mythtv-users] MythUtil - can't show a message on frontend

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Jul 6 07:20:35 UTC 2012

On 6/24/2012 18:55, Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> I actually got it working in mythutil by specifying a single IP as the
> broadcast (strange):
> mythutil --message --message_text "Hi There" --timeout  5 -v --bcastaddr
> 172.31.254.58

Not really. QT's default broadcast address is not a valid address.
Nothing is going to be listening on 255.255.255.255 to hear what you
have to say. Just a guess from that address, the proper broadcast
address would be 172.31.254.255.

> but I really want it to work using netcat so I don't have to compile
> mythutil on other systems which send the message.  Any advice on how to
> make netcat work with this?

It should be working. All the code does is pump that XML as UTF-8 over
the UDP port. There is no fancy interaction between mythfrontend and
mythutil.

> Oh...and the 5 second timeout has no effect...I still have to click OK
> each time onscreen.  Hopefully there is a workaround for that too...

The timeout only has any effect when operating within the OSD. If you
are just in the menus, they will remain on screen indefinitely.