[mythtv-users] Will these machines give me xorg headaches?

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Thu Jul 5 22:59:07 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I'm planning on replacing an old MythBox and 'always on' LAN server with
one of the selection here:

http://www.mediacenter-tv.co.uk/slim-line-media-centres.html

The thing I'm worried about is the graphics output and if I'll be able
to configure it.

I have an old BenQ W100 projector which has a native resolution of 480p.
Yes, I know that's rubbish, and I'll get HD when it dies, but it's
perfectly adequate for watching SD films until then.

When I first set up the last machine, I had a NIGHTMARE getting a
workable resolution though to the projector. I had a lot of help on this
newsgroup, and after about 2 months of trial and error I got the nVidia
drivers doing what I wanted them to do. They feed a 720p image to the
projector, which the projector can interpret.

These new machines mostly have integratd Intel graphics cards. Is that
going to give me a headache again??

I temporarily have a Windows XP machine plugged into the projector, and
that doesn't know what to make of it. I've not spent time trying to
solve it as it's only there for a short time, but I'm back to the 16:9
ratio being ignored and the only options available being 4:3.

If it helps to see how good/bad this problem is, here's a link to the
xorg.conf file that gets around the problems with my nVidia card and
lets things display properly:

http://pastebin.com/Eb70dVYV

I'd really appreciate your best guess as to whether those xorg.conf
changes may work with any graphics card, or if they are nVidia dependent.

And while we are on the subject, how does Intel graphics on the
motherboard compare to nVidia's for MythTV use?

Looking forward to your thoughts,
Damian