[mythtv-users] Channels, video cards and scheduling

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jul 5 17:59:01 UTC 2012

On 07/04/2012 02:37 AM, Alan Chandler wrote:
> As I have said elsewhere I have just migrated a Debian Stable to
> Ubuntu Server 12.04 system. I have a NovaT 500 DVB card and a Pinnacle
> USB stick for recording HD.
>
> In my old setup I scanned for channels with both the Nova T and
> separately again with the Pinnacle USB stick, and mythtv seemed to
> know that the NovaT did not have the HD channels.  By giving the Nova
> T a lower priority for the recording schedular, it would record all
> except HD programs, where the Pinnacle would be scheduled when a HD
> recording was requested.  By giving the specific HD channels higher
> recording priority, they would be chosen over non HD versions of the
> program.
>
> I have just tried to replicate the same setup again, but its not
> working.  It appears the NovaT is being scheduled for HD programs.
> How can I tell mythtv that the NOVA T cannot see the HD channels?

You've figured out that you need multiple Video Sources, but also, never
use input priority (nor channel priority) to try to specify which inputs
should be used first.  In 0.25+, you should set the priorities to 0 for
inputs and channels (unless you really want input or channel
priorities--which almost no one does since they mean, "I'd rather miss a
recording than get one from this other input/channel") and set the Live
TV and recording order in mythtv-setup so that the preferred cards get
the lowest values for first order and the less-preferred get higher values.

Mike