[mythtv-users] HLS very blocky

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Thu Jul 5 15:47:11 UTC 2012

On 5 Jul 2012, at 16:21, Raymond Wagner wrote:

> On 7/5/2012 11:09, Andre wrote:
>> I've recently upgraded to 0.25 and trying HLS streaming for the first time.
>>
>> The video streams are extremely blocky regardless of HD or SD source mpeg2 or h264 and regardless of streaming resolution and bitrate!
>
> The HLS encoder is currently hard coded to L1.3, which means it will not exceed around 800kbps.  That low profile is intended for mobile devices, over low speed consumer broadband.  If you run the output resolution too high, there is simply not enough data to manage the compression and it looks like garbage.

Ok, I tried again leaving the default 480x368 at 800kbps and it looks just the same but in a smaller frame!

I should add that I built a test system for 0.25 on mythbuntu 12.04 a few weeks ago with a borrowed DVBS2 card and that ran fine, HLS looked great at 1280x720 at 3500kbps from recordings or from blurry rips. It's my self compiled system that behaves like this so I'm expecting that I botched the compile in some way or the older system has some broken lib.

Andre