[mythtv-users] Recommended distro?

David Litchman david.litchman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 12:22:54 UTC 2012

I'm looking into switching my PC-DVR setup over to MythTV.  It looks
like there are three main precompiled distros and I'm wondering if any
one of them comes more highly-recommended than any of the others?

Perhaps a little background is in order.  For many years I used BeyondTV
with an analog SDTV tuner, and all was good.  Then Comcast went
digital-only, but in clear QAM so I could still use BeyondTV with a
digital tuner, though channel listings were a bit of a pain to get
working.  THEN, Comcast started encrypting everything but broadcast
channels.  My only option at that point was to get a Ceton InfiniTV and
a Cablecard.  Unfortunately at the time the only DVR software that would
support that tuner was Windows Media Center. I've never been
particularly happy with WMC, but it worked well enough most of the
time.  But now I'm just about fed up with it and want to make a change.
Evidently someone created a workaround for SageTV to work with the Ceton
but that software has been gobbled up by Google and is currently in
limbo.  After doing some research it looks like the latest build of
MythTV supports the Ceton, is that correct?  I don't currently have a
Linux install on my network so I'm looking for an all-in-one
Linux/MythTV distro.  I don't have a lot of Linux experience but I am an
IT professional and I'm not afraid to "get my hands dirty" so to speak.

So, any suggestions?