[mythtv-users] Very slow mythfilldatabase after fresh mythbuntu 12.04 install?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 18:21:02 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 10:29 AM, F.B. Parker <fbp.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> Then I exited the backend setup. As usual it asked if I wanted to run
> mythfilldatabase. I clicked OK, and I'm sitting here almost two hours later
> and mythfilldatabase is still running.
> Is it normal for this to take so long?

It is likely that you are experiencing a combination of things;
using barriers for disk I/O (improves the integrity of data at
the cost of speed of some operations), and really really lousy
defaults in mysql for innodb in most distributions which need
to be changed for reasonable performance

I note that recently someone contributed to the mythtv wiki
a number of suggestions for the mysql configuration that
should result in much better performance for many:
  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Tune_MySQL

Gary