[mythtv-users] Switched from Debian Stable to Ununtu Server (12.04). Best approach for mythtv backend?

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Tue Jul 3 21:07:00 UTC 2012

On 03/07/12 21:53, David Brieck Jr. wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Alan Chandler
> <alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk <mailto:alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk>> wrote:
>
>     Due to a major hardware failure over the last week I have had to
>     rebuild my main house server (mail, dns, web etc).  This was
>     running Debian stable (Squeeze) with mythtv 0.25 via backports.
>
>     Thinking  I might be able to make use of the 0.25-fixes repository
>     I rebuilt the server using Ubuntu-Server 12.04.  However, looking
>     a the mythbuntu web site it now seems to do everything through the
>     mythbuntu-control-centre - and assumes that you do not need to
>     know any details of how to get access to the correct repository.
>
>     It also implies that the control centre is already installed - but
>     I presume that is because I am using the server edition and it
>     assumes you have the desktop.  I installed the control centre via
>     aptitude, and it pulled in loads and loads of additional junk with
>     it.  However when I try and use it, all the icons are missing and
>     I get an error when it tries to do anything which requires admin
>     permissions. I think it might have been trying to add something to
>     my sources.list file.
>
>     I don't really want the hand holding of the control centre if I
>     don't need it - I can just as easily run mythtv-setup manually.
>
>     Does anyone know how I can set the ubuntu-server up so I can get
>     my backend to pickup 0.25-fixes.
>
>     --
>     Alan Chandler
>     http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk
>

> It's a little unintuitive, but visit this page:
> http://www.mythbuntu.org/existing-ubuntu
>
> and click on the chrome looking Install MythBuntu image. This should
> add the correct repos for your system and let you install -fixes
>
> You never have to open the control center if you don't want to, but it
> does have some handy utilities for optimizing MySQL and a few other
> settings.

but I'm running on a command line only server.  I don't really want to
install firefox etc just so I can have a web page automatically add some
lines to my sources.list.  Can't someone just tell me what they are, and
I will edit them into my sources.list.  Then tell me what package to
install so the repository key is installled.