[mythtv-users] Made my own fanart but Myth's not using it

Michael mythtv at blandford.net
Tue Jul 3 18:16:17 UTC 2012

On 07/02/2012 11:05 PM, Karl Dietz wrote:
> On 03.07.2012 02:01, Ian Evans wrote:
>> Ishtar didn't have any fanart at
>> http://www.themoviedb.org/movie/12704-ishtar so I downloaded an image
>> and saved it in the fanart directory as 12704_fanart.jpg.
>>
>> Myth however is not picking it up. Am I missing a step?
>
> yes
>
> either:
>  * contribute the art upstream so everyone can enjoy it. In return you
>    get to use the well tested automatic process for fanart.
>
> or:
>  * put it somewhere on the web (may be local) and add proper custom
>    metadata (e.g. MXML) see
>    http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_Universal_Metadata_Format
>
> contributing upstream has the nice side effect of having a backup in
> case of a disk crash, etc. pp.

As a related question, what is the best way to add coverart for personal
files?

I have some family videos, scuba dives, etc that I would like to give a
thumbnail.  In previous versions, I had a script that use mplayer to get
a screen capture 1 minute in, and then it would make the appropriate db
changes.

I am not sure how to do this with the 0.25 version.

Michael