[mythtv-users] Single partition or whole disk

Saul A. Peebsen jaglover at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 10:05:09 UTC 2012

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 11:36:47 +0200
Ramon Hofer <ramonhofer at bluewin.ch> wrote:

> I also asked this on the debian users and xfs mailing lists. Stan over
> there told me that the WD green is an Advanced Format drive and none
> of the Debian Squeeze partitioning tools understand that which will
> lead to misaligned sectors and thus to performance issues.

I'm surprised Debian has no gdisk (gptfdisk).
http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/
That advanced format green drive is probably one of those drives that
reports wrong sector size? To please Windows XP users. The drive
reports 512 B sectors instead of actual 4 KiB sectors and they call it
Advanced ... Hmmm.
You can use GPT instead of MBR even if you boot BIOS.

--
Cheers, Saul