[mythtv-users] [OT] LCD TV or LCD Monitor for Front-end

William Otten williammotten at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 19:53:35 UTC 2012

On 1/31/2012 1:45 PM, John Welch wrote:
> I know this is at least slightly off topic, but I'm hoping some people
> here will
> have some good insight / info that they can pass along.  In my bedroom I
> currently have a Samsung 26" 720p LCD TV connected as a frontend.  In
> addition
> to the frontend PC, I also have the TV connected to a cable box and a
> blu-ray
> player.
>
> Recently while changing some connections the HDMI port on the TV
> became loose.
> It is now to the point where when I try to use the HDMI connection
> I'll either
> get a "no connection" message on the TV or the colors will be messed up.
> Sometimes I can fiddle with the cable and get it to display OK.  But
> even then,
> after some time of the picture being OK it will either drop out
> entirely or the
> colors will go bad again.  I've tried jerry-rigging the connection to
> secure it a little but so far nothing has really done the trick.
>
> So, now I've started looking around for a possible replacement.  My
> question is
> do I get another LCD TV, or are the LCD monitors that are out there
> now as good
> or better for what I need?  I really want to get something capable of
> FullHD
> (1080p), especially since I now have the blu-ray player.  I'm strongly
> considering something with an LED backlight, but I guess that isn't a
> necessity if I find something that fits my needs without it.  With
> these specs
> in mind I've seen several Acer, Asus, Viewsonic, etc. 27" LED-LCD 1080p
> monitors that consistently get good reviews / ratings in the $250-$350
> range,
> which fits my budget.  For LCD TV's I am only seeing a couple of Vizio 26"
> models with similar specs as the monitors in this same price range.
>
> The only thing that is holding me back from going with a monitor right
> now is
> that none of the models that I've looked at so far can be controlled
> with a
> remote or have a sleep timer; two functions that I use quite often with my
> current Samsung.  What else should I be considering that might swing my
> decision one way or the other, or push me towards a specific
> brand/model?  With
> the monitors you see all these categories like brightness, contrast ratio,
> response time, etc. and the specs sometimes vary wildly between one
> model and
> another.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> John

Sounds to me like you have made your pick. :) I for one am not
overwhelmed when I pick a TV / monitor. When I walk into Best Buy and
look at the different units, they are different in picture quality but I
ask myself, would I notice the difference of a high end LCD or LED to a
less preforming model in my home...and the answer is no. So I buy the
biggest one that I can get for my budget.