[mythtv-users] Seek problems with Handbrake 0.9.5 high profile encodings

Jason Gillis spuppet at comcast.net
Tue Jan 31 19:18:38 UTC 2012

> I did find today that an MKV container instead of a .m4v results in no drift.  I also don't see any messages in the -v playback logs about video getting ahead of the audio.
>
> Is there anyone out there that could confirm this behavior, or perhaps confirm that there might be issues with processing of .m4v files? (I'm assuming ffmpeg handles that, so I'll do some searching about that.)
>
> I recently encoded a few videos with Handbrake High profile and noticed something similar, but I didn't attribute it to Handbrake.  In fact, I've not looked at the log or tracked it down.  I was using a recent "nightly" build of Handbrake x64 on Windoze 7.

I just did another test and it does appear to be a Handbrake issue.  I just dropped an m4v downloaded from iTunes into my system and it played flawlessly.  No messages about video being ahead of audio and skipping back worked as expected.  My assumption is that that video wasn't encoded using Handbrake.

I did some tests with a recent nightly build of Handbrake as well as the 0.9.5 official release and see the same behavior.  Perhaps I'll have to find an alternative to Handbrake, or just switch to generating MKVs.  At least with MKVs, I'd get better subtitle support…