[mythtv-users] Backend complains about: Empty LocalHostName.

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Jan 31 17:05:01 UTC 2012

On 1/31/2012 09:28, Greg Grotsky wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 8:45 AM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com <mailto:mtdean at thirdcontact.com>> wrote:
>
>     It's not complaining.  That's a "N" log message, meaning "Notice," as
>     in, "If you think there should be a LocalHostName override, there is a
>     problem because there is no override.  But, I'll continue on under the
>     assumption that you want to use the 'default' LocalHostName, which
>     will
>     be your system's hostname."  :)
>
>     In other words, your system is set up the way most are--such that it
>     uses the hostname as the LocalHostName.
>
> Thank you Mr. Dean.  Good to know it's not a problem, though, I wonder
> where I can define the LocalHostName variable in myth, is it in
> mythtv-setup somewhere?

In MythTV, all settings are stored in the database, and your system's
hostname is used as a profile name for any non-global settings and
options.  The "LocalHostName" value exists only in the text files that
specify your database credentials, and allow you to select an alternate
profile name to use for those options.  The only reason it should be
used is if you want to run multiple different configurations on a single
machine, such as one for your desktop monitor, and another for a
projector connected to the same system.