[mythtv-users] Program auto-expired within 30 seconds of recording

R KANNAN rk111810 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 23:29:01 UTC 2012

Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 11:39:24 -0500
> From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Program auto-expired within 30 seconds of
>        recording
> To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> On 01/28/2012 07:10 AM, Frank Hartmann wrote:
> > R KANNAN writes:
> >
> >> I had scheduled to record a program to record from 10:59 PM to 12:01 AM
> >> yesterday. Within 30 seconds of completing the recording the recording
> >> Auto-expired and was deleted. There is a 'libpng' error and a  'Preview
> Error'
> >> which might be the reason for the program to be deleted.
> >>
> >> Any ideas on what could have gone wrong??
> > the same happened here. It was not one of my normal regular expression
> > based recordings, but a single recording of a movie.
> >
> > My current theorie is, that some priorities are assigned to different
> > type of recordings somewhere. And that the deletion of records is
> > based on a score calculated by the recordings age and priority.
> >
> > After some clicking I found something like "delate oldest" records
> > first. It did not happen since, but I did not record something that way
> > either.
> >
> > Sorry for the vague menue descriptions, I do not have English as menu
> > language.
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/439021#439021
> and
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/448946#448946
>
> Therefore, auto-expired is /not/ a factor when determining where to
> write new recordings.  Because auto-expire is done on a per-filesystem
> basis, and may only choose from shows you have marked to allow
> auto-expire, and is performed such that the first shows expired are
> Deleted recordings, then Live TV recordings, then normal recordings
> based on the value you've selected for:
>
> Auto-Expire method
> - Oldest show first
> - Lowest priority first
> - Weighted time/priority combination
> Method used to determine which recorded shows to delete first. LiveTV
> recordings will always expire before normal recordings.
>
> but in such a way that if you enable:
>
> Watched before unwatched
> If enabled, programs that have been marked as watched will be expired
> before programs that have not been watched.
>
> shows marked as Watched are sorted using the specified Auto-Expire
> method and will all be expired before shows not marked as
> Watched--regardless of the expiration priority determined through the
> Auto-Expire method (i.e. if it's marked as Watched, a recording with a
> very low Auto-Expire "priority" will be deleted before an unwatched
> recording with a very high Auto-Expire "priority").
>
> It's quite possible there was nothing else on that particular file
> system that MythTV could expire, or that some factor--such as Watched
> status--meant that the recording was supposed to expire first.
>
> Note, also, the setting:

> [...]

Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

I had the Auto-Expire settings at "Lowest Priority first". It took me some
time to find the settings because it was not available in the MythWeb
interface for some reason and it was not oin the backend settings where I
thought it should be. But it was in Mythfrontend which I rarely use. I
thought it belonged to the backend settings.

Also ALL my recordings have the same priority.

I also figured out why the recording deleted. I have two different file
systems for storage directories. One of them has 50 GB of space and the
other has only 4 GB. This particular program was being written to the
smaller one. I do not know why Myth chose to write to this file system for
a HD program for one hour. After 20 minutes into recording it seems to have
run out of space. I don't understand why this happened either. The log file
further up shows

   1. 2012-01-25 23:20:33.733 AutoExpire: CalcParams(): Max required Free
   Space: 3.0 GB w/freq: 14 min
   2. 2012-01-25 23:34:33.859 AutoExpire: CalcParams(): Max required Free
   Space: 3.0 GB w/freq: 14 min
   3. 2012-01-25 23:37:56.242 TFW: safe_write(): funky usleep
   4. 2012-01-25 23:37:56.283 TFW: safe_write(): Got ENOSPC (No space left
   on device).
   5. 2012-01-25 23:37:56.349 No space left on the device for file
   '/opt/tmp/1561_20120125225800.mpg'
   6.                         file will be truncated, no further writing
   will be done.

This caused the recording to be partial and may be why it was deleted at
12:02 AM.

Now my question: Does Myth estimate the space needed for the program before
choosing file system to record in? Why did it choose the smaller storage
directory?

Thanks