[mythtv-users] Vaapi use on Sandy Bridge

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sat Jan 28 20:33:17 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 02:45:54PM -0500, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 1/28/2012 14:39, kenkyee at yahoo.com wrote:
> > It only sucks 15% CPU w/ ffmeg/xvideo but it'd be nice if vaapi worked
> > because I thought it was working :-P
>
> If you're only running 15% CPU running the software decoders, why even
> bother with hardware decoding?  In any case, you should be running the
> OpenGL renderer rather than XVideo if at all possible.

    Assuming this is a machine with a newer Intel GPU in it, my biggest
concern would be for basic driver support. Can it handle dealing with a
random TV that might emit bogus EDID data that would knarfle an older
Intel driver?

    Once you've gotten past that (and perhaps OpenGL performance), then
you can probably just brute force the video decoding.