[mythtv-users] Feature request page on wiki

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jan 28 18:02:23 UTC 2012

On 01/27/2012 06:35 AM, blind Pete wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jan 2012, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> Ok - so how about relaxing the rules around feature requests on the bug
>>> tracker ?
>> I can't find the tickets I'm actually trying to work on/reference as
>> originals for duplicate tickets/point out on list/... as it is.  The
>> last thing we need is hundreds of new "tickets" for things that aren't
>> even bugs.  Our bug tracker is our bug tracker and only that.  (And,
>> really, even now, it either needs a good cleanup--like starting over--or
>> some much better search capabilities.  It's gotten too large to be
>> useful--which is why we're so adamant about discussion /not/ occurring
>> on the bug database.)
> Do you want a two stage system?  Stage one (this list), "I have
> a problem", stage two, "That really is a bug, it goes on the
> tracker".  There will be less public feedback, but there seems to
> be more of a shortage of devs rather than public.

Well, some people (especially those who aren't subscribed to the list)
will always submit bug reports directly.  Those, however (even if
they're invalid tickets), aren't nearly as big a problem as discussions
or "me toos" or "still seeing this" or "has anyone made progress on
this" type stuff going into the bug database.

My main point, though, was just that we don't want to bury important
bugs underneath a blanket of feature requests and wishes, so that devs
won't be able to find what they need.  If you look at the sheer number
of feature requests/wishes on the wiki page--and remember that Raymond
Wagner has done a /lot/ of cleanup/consolidation/deletion of ones that
have been submitted--you'll see that they would easily outnumber our
open bugs.

>>>    Easier to manage ? I personally agree with you, imaging me
>>> trying to help.....no idea where to start. Perhaps the wiki can be used
>>> as a brain dump for the ideas in the bug tracker ?
>> I'd be OK with a completely separate tracker for feature
>> requests--something like Ubuntu's Brainstorm or whatever

And, FWIW, we're looking into a separate-tracker approach, again.  Now
that we should be moving back to our primary hardware soon, we can
probably get things set up "before long".

Mike