[mythtv-users] Windows + SandyBridge + Direct3d/OpenGL Video Issues

Ben Curtis mythtv at nosolutions.com
Fri Jan 27 13:59:39 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Is anyone here attempting to run MythTV in Windows? I've got a
Sandbridge i3 machine that I've set up running Windows 7 64bit that
I've been using as a media player and have just now set up as a
Mythfrontend to replace the older Linux machine.

However, I have some playback issues when rendering. Setting the
renderer to Standard or libmpeg2 doesn't seem to make a difference,
but switching from Direct3D to OpenGL does:

Direct3D:
- Video freezes and stutters on x264 720p playback.
- A random black checkerboard of pixels will come up on screen every
few seconds.
- When the OSD is displayed, the screen "blinks" to black and back

OpenGL
- Video freezes and stutters on x264 720p playback.
- When the OSD is displayed, the video is squashed to the top 1/5th of
the screen, while the rest of the screen is black.

In both occurrences, I'm getting the "Waited 100ms for video buffers"
message on the frontend. I've gone into the windows power management
settings and increased the minimum CPU speed to 20%, which seems to
have alleviated some of the stuttering issues (not all), but this
causes the fan to run faster and does nothing for the On Screen
Display.

I had a similar problem with VPDAU in Linux on an nVidia machine a
while back, and adding a VPDAU buffer string to the Custom Settings
field fixed it, but I don't know of anything like that for the
Standard playback engine.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ben