[mythtv-users] Switching a MythTV laptop between independent and networked operation

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Fri Jan 27 13:15:06 UTC 2012

On 27/01/12 12:46, Simon Hobson wrote:
> John Pilkington wrote:
>
>> I'd also like to be able to switch transmitter easily, for independent
>> use of the laptop in other places.  That might follow naturally from
>> such a script, but at present I find that importing an earlier scan in
>> the mythtvsetup channel editor doesn't carry the dvb transport settings
>> with it.
>
> I think for that you'd need to work out which tables hold the
> required data - tuners, transports, channels, etc, etc. Then you'd
> need to make a "master" copy of each setup, dump it somewhere, repeat
> for each location/transmitter. Then to switch transmitters, have a
> script that will empty the relevant tables and load the previously
> saved data.
>
> It will need a lot of care to get all the data you need, and not
> mangle anything that shouldn't change.
>
> An alternative, and I think vastly inferior, option may be to :
> At each location, delete all channels, then do a full scan to find
> the local transports and channels. Once you've been a location once,
> then you'd only need to "scan existing transports" which would save a
> little time tuning to channels it's never going to find anything on.
> After than run a "channel cleanup" script to set the channel numbers,
> xmltv id's, visibility etc.
>
> Why do I think it's inferior ?
> Well to start with, you'll be scanning a lot of transports that won't
> exist - say you have 4 locations, that's 4x5 muxes, so 20 muxes of
> which 15 won't be transmitted in your area. If you have HD, then 4x6,
> so 18 of 24 that won't be there.
> Also, in some locations you'll pick up local repeaters (possibly
> multiples) as well as a main transmitter. So you'll have to weed
> those out of the transports table. On the other hand, in some
> locations you may need these local repeaters - so you run the risk of
> leaving them in the transports table - only to appear elsewhere when
> you don't want them.
> All this means you'll spend more time to get a potentially inferior
> lineup - vs spending a little time up front and having nearly instant
> setup swaps.
>
> Of course, channel lineup changes by the broadcasters will be a pain
> - just as they are normally, but multiplied by the number of
> locations you use !

Thanks for this, Simon; but I was really expecting that this could be
handled by having a different frontend hostname and perhaps a complete
but small associated database for each location.  For the locations I
have in mind I already have scan data but it seemed easier to do another
scan than try to do an incomplete import.  Note that I haven't tried
much of this yet!

John