[mythtv-users] MythTV and 3D ?

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Fri Jan 27 12:35:29 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012, at 12:10 PM, Simon Hobson wrote:

> Done well and with subtlety, I think it works; trouble is, I've seen
> several films now in 3d and most were a masterpiece in how not to do
> it. Put it this way, I won't be buying a 3d TV in the foreseeable
> future - and what's more, I don't want my 2d experience screwing over
> (eg by halving the resolution) because of it.

For the most part, unless it is a spectacle, we actually go out of our
way to bypass the 3D version.  Most theaters don't compensate for you
wearing dark glasses by increasing the projector illumination, so things
are just much darker.  When we saw Tron:Legacy at an IMAX theater, we
were AMAZED at how good everything looked, and it was precisely because
of the better projection methods, not to mention some scenes were filmed
in IMAX.

Most of the time, it doesn't add anything.  Adding 3D to 2D movies is
kinda stupid, and I don't think it works very well (having said that, I
still will probably check out one of the Star Wars reissues when they
get to the two good ones).

And having said that, the one place where it does add is live sports.
That is the only time I think that 3d might enhance the experience.

But I don't expect 3d to be on OTA anytime soon.  cable/Satellite OTOH,
I do expect it very soon (next five years).

--
  Kris B.
  krisbee at krisbee.com