[mythtv-users] Digital audio: centre channel drops out intermittently

Dave Badia dbadia at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 00:36:44 UTC 2012

Here's the latest on my side: when the audio dropout occurs, the
receiver still shows that it's receiving an 5.1 signal, so it looks
like there's only 2 channels of audio being included in the 5.1 stream
(not sure about the surround channels as there's nothing there even
when the center ch sound is present).  Given that, and the fact that I
don't have this problem with any other material except this news
broadcast, I suspect it's an issue with my affiliate's
encoding/retransmission of the broadcast.  This seems even more likely
since it tends to happen right after commercials in which the local
affiliate is mixing in the local commercials.  I posted to the OTA
thread for my region over on AVS forum to see if any another have the
same issue.  Emailing the station engineers is a good idea, I'm going
to do that as well

Marc - Have you tried replacing your optical/coax cable?  Sounds like
sometimes it's very reproducible for you, but other times not.  I
wonder if there is a combination of broadcast issues during Family guy
and a bad cable the rest of the time resulting in random dropouts in
other shows.

IMHO the sound card or the amp would be the least likely suspects
since they are mostly solid state... typically they either work or
they don't, as opposed to sometimes yes and sometimes no.

Dave