[mythtv-users] commflag on master very unreliable any more

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 15:04:01 UTC 2012

On 25 January 2012 14:09, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On 12-01-25 09:02 AM, Tim Draper wrote:
>>
>> google sugests that UK signals do not abide by the same comskip rules
>> as other countries - blank frames not present for example,
>
> Have you examined a recording to verify this?  You can start a recording
> on a FE and then hit 'e' which puts you into editing mode.  From there
> you can use the left/right arrows to step through the recording at
> predefined intervals (i.e. 1 frame, 0.5 seconds, 5 seconds, ... 5
> minutes, etc.) and use the up/down arrows to adjust the size of the
> interval.
>
> I typically start scanning through with a 1 minute interval and when I
> find myself in a commercial I just keep going back and forth over the
> start of the commercial break with smaller and smaller intervals until I
> can go into and (reverse back out of) the commercial break a frame at a
> time.  That lets you see what exactly is between the show and the start
> of the commercial break.
>
> If you are seeing blank (black) frames, commskip should would for you
> too.  If it's not, perhaps you are having the same problem as I.
>
> b.

no, i haven't tried that - and i also forgot to state I'm on mythbuntu
0.24.1, so not 0.25 master like you are.
i have noted i generally get an advert skip at the start of the first
advert break, and then one at the end of the last break, but nothing
inbetween - just not reliable at all. definitely worse than it has
been, but posting about it here just confirms my suspicions is that it
just doesn't work that well in the UK, and is very dependant on the
UK.

i'd like to say it's got worse when the UK satellite (Astra 28.2E?)
signal got moved from dvb-s to dvb-s2, but i cant back that up as may
things have changed with my setup.

i mentioned in my last post that i tried some sugestions in this
thread, when i ran the command below, i did see a number of bad frames
and a few other errors (i should be able to easily reproduce it, if
needed), not sure if that could have an effect on the commercial
detection:
$ mythcommflag --chanid 3776 --dry-run --starttime 20120122200000
--method all --outputfile /tmp/commflag.out -v general,commflag

i'll plug in a keyboard and give your suggestion a go though, see what
i can find!