[mythtv-users] Some small questions after 0.24.1 upgrade

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jan 25 02:59:33 UTC 2012

On 01/24/2012 05:36 PM, James Orr wrote:
> So, I just upgraded my 0.23 fixes to 0.24.1 and had a couple
> comments/questions ...
>
> In 0.23 when I started to play a recorded program I'd get a "Please
> Wait" screen popup for the time between pressing the button and
> playback actually starting.  This seems to be gone now and as playback
> can sometimes take a few seconds to start, this can result in "Did I
> press the button right?  Is it freezing up?" moments.  Is this
> something the theme provides?  I've switched to Blue Abstract from the
> MythBuntu theme, but neither seem to give the please wait screen.

It's still there--and it's not theme dependent.  However, it may or may
not appear on any given system due to timing issues.  Not that it helps
you, but it always appears on my systems.  :)

> In 0.23 there would be a second or two of no sound after I started
> playback.  I used to think that was my amp switching from dolby pl to
> dolby surround because I was pretty sure I'd seen the same thing on
> the playstation when it changed audio formats, but I guess not because
> that moment of silence is now gone, which is awesome.  Except
> sometimes my 5.1 recording have a crackle at the very start.

You sure that's not your Rice Krispies?  (Sorry, didn't have any ideas
on this one, but didn't want to ignore it, so I went with a stupid joke.)

> The power recording rule for re-recording SD programs in HD is great,
> the only catch is my SD recordings are still there.  I think if I set
> the max recordings settings on this rule it would result in just
> keeping one of the HD re-recordings rather than deleting the old SD
> recording, is that right?  What would be the best way to identify
> where I have duplicates other than manually browsing through all my
> recordings?  A sql query?

Max recordings on a rule doesn't take into account anything other than
recording start time when determining which to get rid of, so it would
be a dangerous approach for trying to get rid of the duplicates  The
re-record rule pretty much expects you to manually remove the dups, and
we don't have any code to do otherwise.  (I actually prefer it this way
because I can then choose which one to delete--I've had a couple cases
where the HDTV recording was actually less enjoyable than the SDTV
recording due to weather/news tickers and such.)

To help you identify them, you could write a little Python script using
the Python bindings (and it wouldn't take very much code at all) that
would loop over all the recordings looking for multiple with the same
title/subtitle and/or same programid--could even go so far as to have it
do the deletes for you.  Take a look at find_orphans.py for an starting
point:  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Find_orphans.py .

Mike