[mythtv-users] Where is myth getting it's credentials?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 04:33:59 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Tony Sauri <hoiho.nz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 16:01, Nick Rout wrote:
> > I am trying to help someone having authentication problems with
> > mythfrontend on ubuntu, so as an experiment to try and emulate his
> > errors I renamed /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt, /etc/mythtv/config.xml,
> > ~nick/.mythtv/config.xml and ~nick/.mythtv/mysql.txt.
> >
> > However when I start either mythfrontend or mythtv-setup (both of
> > which are wrapper scripts on mythbuntu) the corresponding programs
> > start without any hitch.
> >
> > Where/how are they getting the credentials for the database? I
> > understood that these came from the above files, which I renamed.
> >
> > Confused of Quaketown.
>

> I also have a set of files in ~/mythtv/.mythtv (links actually to the /etc
> files)

When none of the files exist, a myth app will (where possible) detect the
backend via uPnP and connect to the XML service running there to pull in
the correct credentials, which it then uses to create a valid config.xml.
 This is likely what is happening if you have removed all config.xml and
mysql.txt instances.

Robert