[mythtv-users] Simultaneous surround sound over HDMI and analog

Daniel Osborne myth at danielosborne.net
Mon Jan 23 03:54:24 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> On 23 January 2012 13:51, Daniel Osborne <myth at danielosborne.net> wrote:
> > Until today, I was using only analog surround sound in mythtv.
> > Since I finally got audio over HDMI working, I want to use it for normal
> TV
> > watching.
> > I only want to use the surround sound system for watching movies now
> > (previously was used for all sound).
> >
> > I was able to get both digital and analog output simultaneously with an
> > asoundrc I got from:
> http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=418455&postcount=4
> > However this only works with stereo sound. How can I change this to allow
> > surround sound over analog (I don't really care how many channels are on
> > HDMI, but downmix ideally atm)?
>
> You won't be able to do this within mythtv
>
> Why don't you create a plug device that sends all audio channels via
> hdmi? the TV while only supporting stereo, should be able to do the
> required downstream
>
> You will never be able to do digital passthrough with this method.
>
> But LPCM will work
>

> > I've tried changing a few things, but when I try to test with
> speaker-test,
> > it just gives me an error (typically):
> > mythtv at dragon ~ $ speaker-test -c2 -r48000 -Dplug:both
> >
> > speaker-test 1.0.24.2
> >
> > Playback device is plug:both
> > Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 6 channels
> > Using 16 octaves of pink noise
> > ALSA lib pcm_params.c:2162:(snd1_pcm_hw_refine_slave) Slave PCM not
> usable
> > Broken configuration for playback: no configurations available: Invalid
> > argument
> > Setting of hwparams failed: Invalid argument
>
> you're plug is a 6 channels audio device, you're trying to open it
> with two channels.
>
> it will not work
>
> What is your definition of the plug device?

Thanks for the reply.

If you see the attachment, it has everything (I have no system-wide
asound.conf).

I never said I wanted to configure it mythtv (I know I can't, but the end
result is playback from mythtv).
I'm indeed trying to create a plug device (again, see attachment, plug is
called "both").
Plus, I already said I had it working, I just want to expand it to 5.1.

speaker-plug -c2 WILL work on a 6ch system, it will just go over 2 channels
(Front L/R, works as such with plug:surround51). However, that is indeed
the wrong command for testing surround sound, I should use -c6.
With either option, the command throws the same error anyway.

Daniel