[mythtv-users] Simultaneous surround sound over HDMI and analog

Daniel Osborne myth at danielosborne.net
Mon Jan 23 02:51:03 UTC 2012

Until today, I was using only analog surround sound in mythtv.
Since I finally got audio over HDMI working, I want to use it for normal TV
watching.
I only want to use the surround sound system for watching movies now
(previously was used for all sound).

I was able to get both digital and analog output simultaneously with an
asoundrc I got from: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=418455&postcount=4
However this only works with stereo sound. How can I change this to allow
surround sound over analog (I don't really care how many channels are on
HDMI, but downmix ideally atm)?

I've tried changing a few things, but when I try to test with speaker-test,
it just gives me an error (typically):
mythtv at dragon ~ $ speaker-test -c2 -r48000 -Dplug:both

speaker-test 1.0.24.2

Playback device is plug:both
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 6 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
ALSA lib pcm_params.c:2162:(snd1_pcm_hw_refine_slave) Slave PCM not usable
Broken configuration for playback: no configurations available: Invalid
argument
Setting of hwparams failed: Invalid argument

I've read various sites on asoundrc, but I don't seem to understand it.
Bindings and ttables in particular (which are what I believe I need to
change).

I've attached the bad asoundrc I tried to modify.

Here's my setup:
Mythtv connected to TV via HDMI
Mythtv also connected to 5.1 analog surround speakers (not receiver).
The system has an M3N78VM motherboard.

Aplay:
mythtv at dragon ~ $ aplay -L
null